Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A to Z '14 - Time

For this year's A to Z Challenge, I am honoring my grandfather who passed away on April 3, 2013.


T is for Time.

My grandfather taught me a few things about time. He told me about the importance of time. How time with friends and family was far greater than time spent working. He showed me the value of an hour.



Living to 93, he also taught me that we don't have the time we think we do. He and I had always talked about me writing his memoirs. I figured I had enough time. He never got sick. If I had, I think I would have started to work on it with him. No, he fell and broke his neck. He was in the hospital for about a week. I got a call the day before he died. I was there by 7 am the next morning and stayed with him till he passed that evening. There was no preparation time. I couldn't just ask him to give me all the details he wanted in his memoirs. Even after 93 years, there wasn't enough time.




Time is a very fragile, precious gift. We never really know exactly how much time we're going to have. So value your time. Celebrate your time. Enjoy every moment in your life.

Time is important.



T is for time.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Being aware of time and using it well is so very important. 93 and healthy basically up until you die - amazing! In your posts I really feel your love for him, and the beauty of the wisdom he imparted to you.
Liz at Bead Contagion

L. E. Harvey said...

Thank you so much, Liz! :)

He was SO fortunate. 93 and they lived completely independently, mo major health issues. When he was in the hospital, the doctors were amazed at his blood work and how all of his major organ function was perfect! :)