Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A to Z '14 - Morals

For this year's A to Z Challenge, I am honoring my grandfather who passed away on April 3, 2013.


M is for Morals.

I am so very grateful for having my grandfather be such an influential person in my life. Raised with the influences of the 1950s to the 1970s, I was taught valuable lessons about respecting your elders and teachers, the importance of honesty, and the value of being a good person (rather than the value of a good manicure).



Thanks to my grandfather, I am respectful, professional, polite, grateful...I have morals.


Morals are so important. They guide us, they help us to discern right from wrong. Most of the time, that's fairly simple to do. But when you're suddenly caught in one of those strange situations where the line is clouded, morals are what we need and use to make the best decision - the right decision.



It seems that the younger generations have lost the real sense of morals. Instead of living in a world where we live with other people, most people today can only think of themselves. Getting what they want is far more important than giving to others. Getting things now far surpasses time spent with family. We focus on material things now. Money rules. Which I find rather comical since you can't take it with you, but that's an entirely different blog.


Morals help us all to be better people. To be kinder, wiser, more compassionate. Morals don't necessarily come from a specific religion. They really come from a place of love and respect. If we love and respect others, we will not hurt them. That is an example of morals in the simplest, most basic form.


It can be easy to fall into the endless cycle of thinking, "Oh poor, pitiful me." But we need to stop and think. How blessed we really are to have all that we do and the people that love us. Let us not lose our morals. Instead, let us use them as they can only enrich and enhance our lives and relationships.

M is for Morals.

No comments: