Saturday, April 27, 2013

X: Xylography

According to arthistory.com, xylography is "wood engraving, and the oldest known relief printmaking technique. The discipline was first practiced in China, then picked up in Europe centuries later. Using a block of wood in somewhat the same manner as a rubber stamp, a xylographer cuts and/or carves wood away from those parts of the design that will not be inked. The 'sticking up' parts that are left form the final print."

Once again, I have learned something new. For fear that I would be writing about xylophones (no offense, xylophone players), I knew there had to be some kind of art form that started with the letter x.

I LOVE wood engraving. As some of you know, I worked with a chainsaw carver for a couple of years. I loved working with wood. Sanding, burning - it was an incredible new medium for me and I adored every second of it.

I also love print making. My grandfather passed earlier this month, but during his amazing career, he was in printing and lithography.

So a combination of wood art and printing really hits close to home.

Since I know so little about xylography, I looked up some images and thought you might like these:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This type of art is beautiful. It must require a keen eye and a steady hand.

Have fun with the rest of a-z. :)