Saturday, April 6, 2013

F: Fine Arts

What are the fine arts?

I think that the definition of the fine arts is as subjective as art itself.

The ever knowing Wikipedia defines the fine arts as such:

"Fine art, from the 17th century on, is art forms developed primarily for aesthetics and/or concept, distinguishing them from applied arts that also have to serve some practical function.

Historically, the five greater fine arts were painting, sculpture, architecture, music and poetry, with minor arts including drama and dancing.[1] Today, the fine arts commonly include the visual art and performing art forms, such as painting, sculpture, collage, decollage, assemblage, installation, calligraphy, music, dance, theatre, architecture, film, photography, conceptual art, and printmaking. However, in some institutes of learning or in museums, fine art and frequently the term fine arts (pl.) as well, are associated exclusively with visual art forms."


So, the fine arts are really quite inclusive. Arhcitecture, assemblage, calligraphy...there really is quite a bit covered under the umbrella term of "fine arts."




For me, it is very hard to choose which are my favorites. I obviously lean towards poetry & writing; I've already disclosed my love of dance. But I love music (I can actually sing, too, so it is safe to say that music is important to me as well); I was with a chainsaw carver for 2 1/2 years and I LOVED working with her and working on her sculptures with her, so sculpting appeals to me. My grandfather's handwriting is very much akin to calligraphy, and since I adore him, I pretty much adore calligraphy as well. My brother is an actor, so of course I love theatre and film. I absolutely admire artists whose mediums are collage, decollage, assemblage and installation as I find them to be so unique and I love that uniqueness. Going back to my beloved grandfather yet again, he was in printing and lithography, so I love printmaking too!

Decisions, decisions.

Realistically, I don't think I need to decide anything. Each one of these mediums simply enriches my life that much more. Why not enjoy all of the fine arts. We lose nothing by doing so, we simply gain enjoyment and enrichment. :)

No comments: