Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H: Hands

Hands are special. Hands are unique. Hands tell the world all about us without saying a word.



I remember when I was 14 and a piece I had written received honorable mention in a youth literary magazine, I read (or at least looked at) the pieces that one. One piece was titled, "My Mother Has Ugly Hands." I was appalled at that title. If I read the piece, I don't remember a word of it. I just remember hating that sentiment.


Personally, I am obssessed with my own hands. They are small and scarred. Yet I work diligently to try to keep them looking healthy and beautiful. Why? I don't know, but not a day goes by that I am not looking at and working on my hands.



What does this have to do with creativity?

Everything.

Think about it. We create with our hands. Our hands type out the words that swirl around in our minds. Our hands hold the tools to carefully and delicately sculpt the clay. Our hands guide the brush to create that amazing painting.



As creatives and creators, our hands are everything.


We need to be good to our hands so that they can be good to us. Let no creative ever doubt the importance of their hands.


Yes, we have all seen those remarkable images of paraplegics and quadraplegics painting with their feet or mouths. That is creativity at its finest. For those of us fortunate to have one or both of our hands, let us be grateful. In that spirit of gratitude, look at, appreciate and treat your hands well.

You never know what they will create next!

No comments: