Monday, April 22, 2013

S: Silliness

Play and silliness are as key to creativity as paint brushes.



Without a care-free attitude, our art loses its heart. Art is mean to be enjoyed. We must approach our art with light-heartedness and a willingness to laugh and play.



The Artist's Way and several of my fellow writers/creatives/artists all talk about how key play is. In fact, I met one of my dearest writing friends through a course she taught on playing with your writing.


Children are always happy to create. They want to draw or paint or color of do whatever. They just want to make stuff. They have no inhibitions, no fear. Children are silly when it comes to creativity. Who else but an imaginitive 5 year old would make blue playdough french fries?


Do see what I'm getting at? Have fun! Create! Play! Art was never meant to be serious or even solemn. Art and fun are both three letter words and they are, indeed, synonymous.

So go out there and create! Don't forget to have fun while you're doing so!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Found you on A to Z. I was born in Philly and my mom and her family all grew up there. Great post on silly. I'm inclined to agree with you on this one.