Friday, January 29, 2010

A Lesson in Humility

I've been thinking about this as a blog subject for a little while now. Today I discovered that it must come to fruition.



Myself, along with a few of my author friends, believe that we have ego issues. We're always seeking approval - hence submitting manuscripts, pushing for book sales, etc. There is something about the writer's ego that makes them fragile yet pompous (I am a pompous ass. I fully admit it). Why?



I especially have to ask myself why. Why do I try to strut myself around like a male Peacock when the reality is my tail is NOT that attractive. Let me explain.




My "colleagues" at VHP are all far superior writers than I. Most of them have been writing professionally for years whether as free-lance writers, journalists, etc. I have not.



There is one in particular who has multiple degrees, has her Ph. D. and teaches at a major university. I have an associates degree in veterinary medicine. Not even comparable.



I just found out today that another VHP author will be interviewing Margaret Atwood next month. MARGARET FUCKING ATWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She's HUGE. She is a name in the literary world, and rightfully so (I defy anyone to try and show me that she has no talent!).


Am I doing anything remotely close to that? No.




I can't believe that I am in the company of these great minds. I don't deserve to be. They are MORE than respectful. They treat me as if I'm their equal, and I'm not. God knows I appreciate their kindness & respect more than words could ever express.



I love writing. I always have, and I think I always will. I pray that my books touch people and hold some significance to some. Truth is, as much as I strut around, I'm just a regular person. I probably will never be a name like Margaret Atwood. I can almost guarantee I'm never getting a Ph. D. in literature or writing or anything of that nature. But damn if I'm not the luckiest ordinary person to be surrounded by such great writers! :)



On a side note, we have all lost one of the greatest writers of our era. J. D. Salinger passed away yesterday. He was 91 years old. His work will live on indefinitely.

2 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

I think about the ego thing a lot, and often wonder how to tell the difference between egotistical outbursts and salesmanship.

We can't compete with Margaret Atwood or the other writers on your graphic by sitting at home watching the royalty checks roll in. So we do things to attract attention to ourselves and our books.

Where does ego end? Where does PR begin?

Malcolm

Anonymous said...

Egotistical? Bah humbug! Energy wasted. Writing has chosen you so do it. Sell yourself because no one else wiil. Salesmanship is where it's at no matter what your occupation or preoccupation is. You're always selling yourself along with the product.

My best to all who've been chosen by this wonderful creative world.

Charmaine Gordon Author