Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Writing and the Subconscious

Today, class, we are going to discuss writing and the subconscious.



Writers write for a reason. Not just are we here to tell stories, but our minds are filled with memories and emotions that are expressed through our writing. Things we may not even be aware of, are expressed through our work.

I read, re-read, re-re-read, re-re-re...Well, you get the point.



There are elements in ALL of my stories that I am not even aware of. I will read those sections and ask myself why that's in there. Sometimes I know, sometimes I don't. For whatever reason, though, they are there. My brain needed those words, that situaton, those emotions to be there. So they are.

Let me give you some examples.

Loving Her


Ok, in Loving Her, Katie & Linda's story has quite a bit in there.
First off, there is "Every Rose Has its Thorn" playing. Yeah, I dig me some good old 80's rock. Anyhoo, Originally that came about because that "Monster Ballads" cd commercial was on TV when I began writing. Then at the end you can see that even Katie has her own thorn (Gasp! Not our precious little Katie! Yep, guys. The same. She does. If you haven't read Loving Her yet, I suggest you do so in order for all of this to make sense).


Also in Loving Her, there is the incredible scene between Linda and Katie's parents. I had an image on Linda on her knees & not moving, but I didn't know why. The scene actually wrote itself. That scene is extremely important to me. I've been lucky in that I never experienced anything to that degree, but my subconscious mind had all of that stored away & it just became the scene between Linda & the Wolfes. Kind of crazy, huh?


Unbreakable Hostage


Ok, this book is CHOCK full of subscious matter!

First off, there's the whole "X = 2" thing. Not quite sure WHY my brain did that, but it did. And X does, in fact, equal two! Weird, but it's what my mind needed.


Lareina's religious beliefs really come into play as well. She is, like most Hispanics, a Catholic.

Now, I was raised in a Catholic home & there are some traditions I love, but I am far from a practicing Catholic. Why did I make her Catholic, and why did I make Catholicism so important to her? I have NO freakin' clue! But my subscious does! ;)

So what does all this tell us?

Well, first off, it tells us that writing is more than meaningless words. Whatever book you're reading - or writing - right now, has more meaning behind it than you may ever realize.

As well, when you're writing: let yourself be free! Let your characters, settings, and situations surprise you. Don't control every breath they take. Have you ever tried to control a cat? Yeah, ain't happening, right? Exactly. Our characters are living, breathing people too! Let them do what they need to do. We as writers, are the VESSELS for these stories to be told, not some controlling omnipotent deity. Brear that in mind every time you write. You might just surprise yourself (and clear your subconscious at the same time)!

4 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

I enjoyed this post because I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds stuff in my writing that I didn't consciously put there.

Malcolm

L. E. Harvey said...

Hi Malcom!

No, you're not alone. :) I think more writers do it than not, perhaps not as many are willing to admit to it or something. I think it's key in the writing process, though. Glad you liked it! :) Keep up the great writing!!! :)

Chelle Cordero said...

LOL, the characters I write are NOT me, they are NOT, honest, really, not a bit, but...

I find they share my ideals and some of my dreams. they get hurt and offended at the things that make me cry. They love with a deep passion - well, have to ask hubby about that.

Good, thought provoking, and insightful.

L. E. Harvey said...

Thanks! :)