Sunday, April 25, 2010

APA: Susan Hanniford Crowley

I need to start off with a serious apology. Due to an unexpected medical emergency, I was unable to post this interview when it was due, on 5/6. My deepest apologies to Susan and to APA. I'm getting myself caught up on things, but I do sincerely apologize for the delay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning, fellow bibliophiles! This morning's APA guest is Susan Hanniford Crowley.





Good morning, Susan! Anything I can get you?


Tea with cream and three sugars. Thanks.






First off, you call yourself a cross-over writer from sci fi/fantasy to paranormal romance. Besides the obvious romantic aspect, what do you find to be different between the two genres?



In science fiction or fantasy, the hero or heroine is the main character and their focus is fixing the major problem in their world, such as Frodo destroying the ring to save Middle Earth, There may or may not be a romance of significance in the plot. In paranormal romance, the focus is how the hero and heroine get together and if they can stay together. I bend a little in that my work borders on urban fantasy. Laura Cordelais loves David Hill but she also wants to save a city and things get complicated. Romance in science fiction and fantasy don't usually have the sexy scenes of a romance. Romance always has a "happily ever after" ending or at least a "happy for now" commitment between the couple.






I have been fascinated with vampires since childhood. I remember being so enthralled (and dare I admit even a bit infatuated) with Dracula, but I've found it tremendously difficult to write about vampires, werewolves, and the like. Do you find it difficult? How did you get into writing such interesting stories? Has this been a life-long passion of yours? (Sorry to hit you with 3 at once! LOL).




Even in science fiction and fantasy, I wrote strange stuff. Come to think of it, my writing has always been unusual. I started writing when I was eight. I found Dracula and Barnabas Collins in "Dark Shadows" fascinating. It wasn't until a few years ago that an author friend of mine suggested I try romance. I had been dreaming vampires and thought it was just a fantasy. I was very wrong. It also helped that I had been researching vampires for over 25 years and have talked on vampire panels at science fiction and fantasy conventions.




In The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais,


you say that she is "descended from an ancient race blessed by Zeus." is mythology/ancient cultures & religions an integral part of all your writings? I am a nerd - especially with history and ancient cultures. Is there any particular reason why you chose Zeus (and the ancient Greek belief system) for this book?





I'm part Greek and Greek mythology is close to my heart. I knew Laura was a being who controlled the weather, so I went deep into the more obscure parts and found the Telkhines. The demons also come from Greek mythology--I just expanded their powers.



The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais is a full length novel of exciting vampire romance and adventure spanning two cities and worlds you could only imagine. How much would you fight for someone you loved? Even if you knew having them was impossible?

LIGHTNING
Being descended from an ancient race blessed by Zeus doesn't help Telkhine Laura Cordelais, when she's desperate and standing between life and death. Her destiny looks bleak. Every choice leads to death, and there is no winning door. Or is there?

THUNDER
Begging God for love, Vampire David Hilliard finds his request answered in the form of the tormented and dying Laura. In saving her, he falls in love and dooms them both to a dark underworld of voodoo and sorcery from which nothing can escape.

THE STORM BEGINS
Curses, Keres, demons, oh, my! And the unicorn's horn.







The prequel to The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais is the novella When Love Survives. A book about love even in the midst of disaster, it also introduces Vampire David Hilliard as a secondary character.



MAGIC
Regina O'Malley is a college student who's just discovered she's magic. Today is the first day of her internship at a prominent brokerage house at the World Trade Center, and she's late. She doesn't know disaster is right around the corner.

LOVE
Gregor Vasiliev is a financial advisor at the World Trade Center. This shapeshifter hates the office coffee, and while on a donut run he gazes out the window of his favorite coffee shop. There in the street stands the lifemate he's been searching for. If he doesn't act now, he'll lose her forever.

IT'S SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.







The novella that follows The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais is A Vampire for Christmas. This is the first in the Vampires in Manhattan series that reveals the presence of the Arnhem Knights in New York City.


Georgia doesn't know she's a Harmony. Jobless and about to be homeless, her heart sinks when a hand snatches the coat of her dreams from the storefront window. Then she sees him staring at her reflection . . . the stalker.

Trevor Stenwood, a vampire and Arnhem Knight, is handsome, sophisticated, and tongue-tied every time he sees her. Sworn to protect the supernaturals of the city, he's fallen for a woman marked for death by demons. How can he save her when she's afraid of him?

At Christmas time in New York City, will love bloom in the snow?


My publisher is Tease Publishing LLC.





Wow, those are fantastic! And I love the fact that they are all connected! They all sound like great reads!




Besides writing, I'm sure you have other hobbies and interests. One thing I noticed was that you have a beautiful photo gallery on your website. Are you a photographer as well?



It's really a hobby. I have done some paintings but prefer writing. My mom was an artist, and I learned from her to look for interesting compositions to photograph.








If you had only one book to read before you die, what would it be (please list the author, too), and why?



It would be whatever is brand new by a.c. Mason. Mason is a new urban fantastist with heavy, hot romantic elements in her books. Mason and I sometimes critique each other, so I would put off dying to read her newest book. LOL.







Sounds really good! If her work is worth putting off dying for, then I'll definitely check it out! :)





Thank you so much for joining us, Susan! It was a pleasure to have you here! Keep up the fantastic work! :)












http://www.susanhannifordcrowley.com/

Buy Links for The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-thestormylovelifeoflauracordelais-374695-139.html

http://www.amazon.com/Stormy-Love-Laura-Cordelais-ebook/dp/B00318D5VY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1272208684&sr=1-1

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b100800/?si=0

Buy Link for When Love Survives

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-whenlovesurvives-362921-143.html

Buy Link for A Vampire for Christmas

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-avampireforchristmas-387184-139.html

No comments: