Sunday, April 25, 2010

APA: Katie Salidas

Good morning, readers! Today on the APA tour, we have the fabulous Katie Salidas! She's a real doll, so please give her a warm welcome! :)




Hi Katie! First off, I'm not sure if I already mentioned this or not, but I always offer my guests virtual coffee, tea, food, etc. Anything in particular you'd like?


Oh, why thank you! I would love a cup of tea if you have some.





Ok, for any of our readers who don't know Latin, would you mind translating your title, IMMORTALIS CARPE NOCTEM, and also explaining why you chose that as the title for your book?





Well, first I have to say I am terrible with names. I obsess over them endlessly until I find something that fits. It has to be perfect! While writing Immortals I kept looking into the story to find a basic thread. A theme if you will. Something that described the book in just a few words. They are Immortal, vampires that is and the Latin version of that is Immortalis. They live in the night. But, that is not the underlying theme. It’s a story about coming to terms and accepting it. Seizing the night so to speak. Many people are familiar with the phrase Carpe Diem, seize the day. Well that’s what my main character has to do … for the night and her newfound immortality. That is where it all fit together. Immortalis Carpe Noctem translates to Immortals, Seize the Night.



Your main character, Alyssa is assaulted on the UNLV campus. Any particular reason you chose Vegas? I used to live there and have some family out there, so I try to get out there as much as I can! :) I'm always intrigued when a story is based in Vegas! :)


I’m a Vegas native myself and I just felt it was a great setting for a vampire story. It’s a 24 hour town. There is something to do every part of the day and people, not just vampires tend to live more of a nocturnal lifestyle.


The specific places in the story all have some connection with my past. It goes back to that old saying “write what you know.” The cafĂ© Alyssa hangs out at was once a place I frequented. Sadly it burned down, but it was a place I loved and I wanted to immortalize it in my story. Other places, like her apartment, the neighborhood Lysander lives in, and the hotels they visit, are all places I too have been and know very well. I thought that using places like these would add a layer of realism to the story.


It does. I've done the same thing with my own writing. I think it gives the work that extra familiar touch that readers really enjoy! :)



Rising Sign books has Immortalis Carpe Noctem listed as your only book out right now. Do you have any projects you're currently working on?


Oh yes! I’ll be releasing a small collection of erotica shorts over the next year. Kind of teasers until the next book is released. The sequel to Immortalis is in the editing phase right now and should be available in print January of 2011
.


I have always been fascinated by Vampires, but found it difficult to write sci fi/fantasy. Is it easy for you to write fantasy?

Scifi is a bit hard to write, I am not as technically versed so writing something that not only relies on fiction but believable science behind it is out of my league.


Fantasy on the other hand is something I enjoy.


With fantasy, it is all about the world you create and remembering the rules. We all know the basics for vampires but the “why” behind them is where the world building and rules come in. As a writer, you have to establish them right off the bat and then hold true. My vampires, for instance, don’t go out into the sun, which I explain early on in the novel. Not that they will burst into flames, but that their skin is prone to burns and their eyes are extremely photosensitive. With that rule set, I can safely show you what happens to a vampire in the light without breaking the trust of the readers. I never said they would burst into flames.


Take the Vampire Diaries for example. The author there sets a rule that her vampires can be protected from sun damage with a magical ring.


Making up the rules for the world is one of the fun things. Playing by them can be hard though.






LOL. Isn't that true about everything in life? LOL.

Getting back to writing, outside of sci fi/fantasy, what is your favorite genre?


Oooh. I’d have to say romance. I’m a sucker for a good love story. I like my happily ever after and if it includes some steamy love scenes, all the better.


I'm with ya on that one! LOL.


The cover to Immortalis Carpe Noctem is very well done. Who designed your cover art?


I found a fabulous artist named Stella. She took my idea and ran with it, delivering a cover within a day that just knocked my socks off! Her art can be found here.

http://stellaprice.deviantart.com/gallery/





What is one thing that you think readers would be surprised to learn about you?


Well, believe it or not, I am a completely shy and introverted person. I’m more “at home” sitting behind my computer than out in the public eye. Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t shied away from promoting my work, I just get a sense of stage fright every time I am in the spotlight.

That's interesting, especially with this tour! You're REALLY in the spotlight now! LOL.

Thank you SO much for being here, Katie! It was a pleasure having you on here! Keep up the great work! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work! :)

Thanks again & happy reading! :)

2 comments:

BK said...

Fantastic interview. Lauren I love how you interview it's great. Katie, I just love learning something new about you each time I read your interviews. Great job both of you and cheers to your success!

Katie Salidas said...

Thanks so much for having me on your blog. It was great chatting with you.