Thursday, September 25, 2014

Writing is a team effort

Happy Thursday, cats and kittens!



Today, I want to talk about life behind the scenes of writing a book. Just as there in an entire crew behind the cameras of a movie, there's a crew behind each and every book.



Believe it or not, writing really is a team effort.

I kid you not!

There's always at least one editor involved. No matter how good a writer is, we ALL need an editor. We just do.



Then, depending on the size and nature of the publishing company, you have people working on the actual publication of the book, marketing, book trailers, advertising, design and layout, printing, distribution, and more.

As you can see, there are many hands involved in the entire process.



What does this mean?

It means that we all need to be willing to work as a team. There is no room for egos. Each and every person involved has something wonderful to bring to the table. We all need to work with, accept, and appreciate everyone's gifts and differences.

I recently had a conversation with my publisher. She has been an amazing publisher. I've worked with her for the last 7 years. We've both seen and helped each other to grow. So when she approached me about changing the title of my upcoming release, I knew that I needed to put my ego aside and trust her. She hasn't steered me wrong yet. She, our editor and I all have the same goals for this book - and all of the books that we publish. We all want to do our best, and to see each book succeed. She wasn't bringing this up as a way to hurt me, or as some flighty, impulsive move. There was thought, reason, and planning. There is a method there, even if I don't see it.



Was it difficult to step aside? You bet! I pour my heart and soul into every book that I write. There is a reason behind every word, including the title.

I'm not so stuck on myself that I would argue. For as much as I would love to think that the title is superb, I can respect the fact that she and my editor see something different than I do. Their fresh eyes on the piece can only make it better. So I acquiesced. And as long as I keep my ego in check, I will remember that this will only help the book to be better than it already is.  :)



So the next time you crack open a book or turn on your e-reader device, remember that there's a big crew behind the scenes that worked with the author so that we could all give you the best stories possible.



Happy reading!!!

1 comment:

Susan Hornbach said...

Thanks fro this lovely post Chelle. We do as writers have to remember we can't fall totally in love with our words, but sometimes stand back and take the crit. It usually makes for a better publication.