Thursday, July 4, 2013

Improving My Craft

Howdy, y'all!



'Tis Thursday again, which means yet another blog post from yours truly.

What do I have to say for myself today?


Not much. LOL


Actually, I wanted to talk about improving your craft.

As you go through life, you change and (hopefully) improve as a person. We have things we are ashamed of, but we learned from them and became better people. No, this is not a discussion on current celebrity issues. My point is, as humans grow and change, so does their writing (assuming those humans are writers).


As I continue to work on the prequels to Loving Her, I find myself mildly amused at how staccato my voice was. Granted, it still is, but not nearly what it used to be. Yes, now I embellish. I give details and descriptions. There are emotions and weather and everything else. Not only am I telling a story, I am setting the stage for it as well.


My voice is still my own. No one can ever fully change that. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. A writer's voice is what makes them unique. Five writers could be lined up and told to tell the same story and you would still end up with five different stories. That is part of what makes the arts grand. No two pieces are ever truly alike.


I digress. My point is that as I have grown, changed and improved, so has my writing. These prequels surpass the original group of stories. It's interesting to watch, and I do wonder what Loving Her would look like should I write those stories now.



Everyone has to start somewhere. Just like with anything in life, the more we do something, the better at it we become. So remember that as you're reading my - or any other author's work. What we put out may not necessarily be our best work. It just be indicative of the good things yet to come! ;)


Happy reading!

No comments: