Thursday, October 20, 2011

Not Dean Koontz

Happy Thursday afternoon, fellow biblophiles!



I apologize for today's delay. My other job required more time of me than usual. And that is actually what I want to discuss today.




You see, I have just been asked to come do a local author's event; in addition, a reader has requested autographed copies of ALL of my books! I turned to my fiancee and said to her, "But I'm not Dean Koontz!"







And the truth is, I'm not. I am sitting here wearing scrubs as I type this. My other job, for those of you who didn't know, is as a licensed veterinary technician, or veterinary nurse. Again, not Dean Koontz.



I drive a 2000 Subaru Forester and my beloved 1977 Chevy K-10 pick up (sound familiar, Loving Her readers? ;) ). Also, not something akin to Dean Koontz.




I have bad hair days. I am short. I don't always look like a model. I am not a nationally known author...yet. ;) I have a regular job, I have bills to pay. I even have to pump my own gas! I know, it's terrible.





Seriously, though, I'm just a regular gal. There is absolutely nothing special about me. If you saw me walking down the street, you would simpy think I was a short, Hispanic female in her thirties. Not Dean Koontz.







Would I like the notarity that he has? Yes and no. I love the idea of people across the board knowing my work. I love the idea of my books selling themselves.I love the idea of my writing being recognized. However, there is tremendous pressure in being Dean Koontz or Stephen King or any other GOOD big-name writer. I will not discuss formula writers as...well, I just have an opinion about them and that's all you need to know. BUT, to be a truly good and famous writer, you need to be churning out book after book after book and they all need to top their predecssors. I don't know if I could do that. Right now, I am working on a project, but it's only a short story. I like my novels to come and just kind of happen. This one may turn into a full-length, but I want the freedom to explore all the possibilities with this story. That is a freedom Dean Koontz doesn't have.




Dean Koontz is very mainstream. To be him, I might have to tone down my Hispanicness or gayness or shortness. I don't know if it is a choice or an inability, but either way, that won't happen. Period.






Dean Koontz can only be Dean Koontz. Honestly, I like being L. E. Harvey the author or Lauren the vet tech or Jerry Skid the roller derby girl. I like wearing many hats. I don't see Dean Koontz doing that. He may, but I doubt it.





The point is: I am flattered and honored to be in this upcoming author's event as well as signing copies of my books for a reader I have never met. I may not be Dean Koontz, but that may not be a bad thing.

No comments: