Thursday, October 13, 2011

Coming Out Day

Tuesday (10/11) was National Coming Out Day.


Like any good LGBT author, I promoted several events and articles relating to NCO, but I also promoted my books.


Why?

Not because I am THAT much of a narcissist.



Close, but not quite. ;)





In all seriousness, I hope that Imperfect and Impeccable help others to come out. They helped me to come out, believe it or not.





I have known who and what I am since I was a pre-teen. I remember being in junior high and having "those thoughts." I had hit puberty early, mind you, and when you have a class that is full of beautiful girls, you can't help but be...interested.






I had said things or asked questions of my mother in pre-teen and teen years, but she dismissed them.


In my twenties, I had a few long-distance reltaionships with other women. Since they were short-lived and long-distance, it still didn't quite register with my mother.


Mind you, I hate to make my mother out to be some kind of ignorant fool. She is anything but. However, for whatever reason, my orientation just didn't click with her.




So, when I wrote Imperfect, my mother asked me why all my characters were gay (consider the fact that Loving Her was fairly hot off the press at the time).




So, I thus had to explain to mom AGAIN that I am bisexual (she still doesn't quite fully understand since I'm with a woman now, but that's a whole other blog! LOL).



So, writing love stories about lesbians helped me to come out as a "half-lesbian,' if you will.





Is that a bad thing? Not at all. If you look at Carol and Alex, you will see that they are strong women. They are not ashamed of who they are. They love each other regardless of race or gender. They show us what true love can endure, and what it should be. That can be a very powerful tool in coming out.







So, if you're closeted, please come out! Yes, the world can be a scary place. But it will be such a better place if you're true to yourself!






And if you can read, please read Imperfect and Impeccable. You might just like them! ;)

No comments: