Saturday, January 8, 2011

My New Year's Resolution

Howdy y'all!




Here we are one week into 2011. How's it been for ya? I sure do hope this new year has treated you well.



In all the busyness of life, I realized yesterday that I hadn't made any steadfast new year's resolutions.



Is that wrong? I have goals, mind you. Just nothing concrete.




In my various writer forums I keep seeing people ask and talk about their writing resolutions. Honestly, that's a bit of a turn off to me.




You see, I don't think we should make (as writers) resolutions about the number of words per day that we'll write or the number of books we hope to churn out in a year. That promotes quantity, not quality.




Yeah, I'm a stickler for quality.





So, that's actualy my new year's resolution as a writer. Focus on writing well. Write things that are poignant, emotional, important, creative and simply well done. As well as I can do, anyway. I don't want to focus on numbers. That's a scary game that can often have you trapped and detract greatly from your work. Whether I have one book published this year or ten, I want them all to be the best stories they can possibly be. I want to continually grow and improve as a writer. I want both my work and myself to be the best that they can possibly be. I think that's a good goal. It creates a better product. Don't you as a reader want the best book out there and not some sloppy, poorly-put-together junk?



Yeah, that's what I thought. ;)




So, fellow book-lovers, this is my official new year's resolution. Out here on the internet for all the world to see. I, L. E. Harvey, hope to improve my writing and will focus on writing quality stories rather than quantity.



Hope you are all kicking some serious arse on your new year's resolutions!



Happy new year and happy reading!

No comments: