Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Hardest Thing I've Ever Written

As I reflect back on these last few months, delving deeply into the souls of my characters, I am exhausted.


Though it may sound odd, these Character of the Week posts are arguably the hardest thing I have ever written.



I know these people inside and out, and yet there was more to them than even I knew. I had to unearth old pain, old stories. I had to make sense of their neuroses. I had to give you more. I had to give them more.




The process was lengthy. Describing the soul of someone is no easy task. I also had to learn more about each and every one of them. There was a lot of time, thought, and energy that went into each of these characters, and each of these posts.


There were times I was shocked. There were times I was scared. There were times I was sad. These back stories often took unusual and unexpected twists and turns. I learned so much more about them.



I'll admit that there were times I felt incredibly vulnerable writing these. I experienced their pain, shame, and vulnerability. It was a very deep and emotional process.




Now that it's all said and done, I hope that you not only know and better understand my characters, but that you now have a greater connection to them and their stories. I hope you have come to love them the way I do. I hope their personalities and quirks make more sense to you. I hope you appreciate them for all that they are.
                                                 


I thank you for joining me in this journey. I hope that you enjoyed the opportunity to better know and understand my characters. I hope that this was as great an experience for you as it was for me.


Thank you again, and happy reading!
















No comments: