Monday, March 28, 2011

Is Hollywood Killing Literature?

We ALL love a good movie. And since Hollywood first began, they have taken some of the greatest pieces of literature and turned them into moving pictures. Gone With the Wind, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men...the list is endless.

Nowadays, though, times have changed. How many of us have seen movies to books that we never read? I'll admit I'm guilty of that. Sat through the Twilight series, never read the books. It was all for the Mrs. ;)

We live in a world of instant gratification. A phone call will no longer do. Now we must tweet. Drive through wedding chapels, electronic everything, you name it. We are more inclined to sit through a two hour movie than we are to read a book.

Now I'll admit that I would LOVE to see my books become movies, reach a broader audience, etc. That's why I LOVE storycasting.com. Fantastic site that lets my imagination play! :) BUT, if my books do turn into movies, I want them to be true to the books. There will not be any exploding cars in Imperfect. If there are, that ain't my book.

If my books became movies, though, would I see people flock to get their copies or would Hollywood simply be the only focal point? I don't know. But I will admit that the idea of my books losing their clout is scary. I write with intention. I hope that actually comes across.

So, is Hollywood killing literature? I think it's a possibility. I would like to see the two art forms help and support each other. Hopefully our society isn't becoming completely anti-literature.

Don't forget, everyone, I'm about to start my next big tour. I'll be posting & tweeting my various stops along the way. I hope to see you there, and I hope you pick up your copy of Imperfect while we're at it too! :)

Happy reading!

No comments: