Monday, May 2, 2011

Whatever happened to Maynard G. Krebs?

Most people know Bob Denver as Gilligan from Gilligan's Island. Sure, he deserves credit for that show. But what about his role on Dobie Gillis?

I grew up watching TV that was from before my time (I am convinced that has contributed to the pin up in me ;) ). Dobie was as much a part of my childhood as Dora is to kids today.

The thing is, I remember Maynard G. Krebs. In fact, I made a reference to the beatnik over Easter weekend.

Why am I talking about a lesser known role for an actor?

Because no one wants to be remembered as just one thing. Are you JUST the color of your skin? Just ONE talent? No. Not at all. We as people are diverse creatures. There is depth and complication to each and every one of us.

Now granted Maynard G. Krebs may not have been the pinnacle of method acting for Mr. Denver, but it is a role that he played that deserves as much credit as Gilligan.

Quite personally, I don't want to be remembered simly as a vet tech. Nor just as an LGBT writer. Saving animals is just as important to me as writing LGBT fiction that creates social change. They are equally important and I hope that both endeavors are equally remembered long after I'm gone.

Each of my books deserves credit just like every role an actor plays deserves credit. Loving Her, Unbreakable Hostage, Imperfect, Impeccable, Trajectory, A Summer of Butterflies...EVERY single piece that I write deserves its place in the annals of history.

So, let us look at a writer's works on the whole. Together, each piece of writing helps to create the beautiful puzzle and life of that writer.

Besides, where would be without Maynard? ;)

Happy reading (of ALL of my books), y'all! :)

No comments: