Thursday, September 16, 2010

Page 69 Trial for Imperfect

Good Football Sunday morning, readers!




Today, I am posting the page 69 trial for Imperfect.




Now, I have to be honest. Page 69 on Smashwords kind of cuts into two different sections, so this is more than just page 69, but you get the idea. ;) Enjoy!












“So, how are you holding up, Carol?” Will asked. A month had passed since Ed's death. Although Carol saw Will every day at work, she never spoke of her loss. This was the first time in a month that Carol felt up to hosting Will and Robyn again as they had previously done every Tuesday night.

“I don't know,” Carol sighed. “It's very surreal. I just can't believe it – it still doesn't make any sense.”

“I know this is hard. But sometimes life doesn't make any sense, sweetie.” He replied.

“Thank you again for taking care of Sugar.” Alex interjected, hoping it might temporarily alleviate her woman's pain.

“No problem.” Robyn answered kindly. “She's such a great dog. We love her. We're always happy to help.”

“Thanks,” Carol mumbled. Although time had passed, she was clearly still very depressed.

Will also wanted to get Carol out of this rut. “Hey, Carol, didn't you say you had a question about that new Windows application?”

“Yeah,” she muttered.

“Want to go look at it?”

“Sure.” They left the dinner table and went into Carol's office to fiddle around with her computer.

“Boy, she's taking it hard,” Robyn whispered to Alex.

“I know. Ed was her only real friend in high school and his family took her in after her father died. I think there was a stronger tie there than any of us could imagine. She's closer to them than she ever was with her own mother. It's just a lot for her to take in.”

“Poor girl. She hasn't had an easy go of it.”

“No, she hasn't. I wish there was something I could do to ease things for her.”

“I know, Alex. It's never easy. Just know that both Will and I are always here if either of you ever need.”

“Thanks, Robyn.” The two women hugged. Their silence brought Alex some comfort. At least Alex knew she wasn't alone in her love and concern for Carol.




Dave, John, Alex and Carol slowly wandered through the aisles of a gay bookstore in town.

“See, isn't this place great?” Dave asked Carol.

“It is nice. I just hate the fact that we have to have separate bookstores. Know what I mean? It's as if we're hiding from the rest of society,” she retorted.

“I don't disagree, but at least we're safe to be out in the open here. Besides the fact that some of the books in here are great works of literature.”

“You mean books like, The Art of Cunnilingus?” Carol asked holding the book up for Dave to see.

John rounded the corner laughing. “Ssshhh. Not so loud. That is funny, honey. You have to admit she has a point.”

“Well, that may be true, but there are some fine works of literature in here as well,” Dave argued his point.

“I don't doubt it,” Carol said. “I just wish we didn't have to be defined by our sexuality.”

John placed a hand on Carol's shoulder. “I know, Carol. But let's at least enjoy what the gay community has to offer.”

“Hey, you guys, do you want to grab some coffee? There's a great coffee shop right around the corner.” Alex asked the group as she returned from one of the aisles.
“That sounds like a great idea, baby,” Carol responded.

The four walked out into the spring air. Time was ticking away. Slowly, Carol was recovering from Ed's death. The flowers were in full bloom and the trees were filled out with lush green leaves. The signs of new life were easing the pain in Carol's heart.

They sat at a small table right in the window. A young woman came up to take their order.

“I'll have a Chai tea,” Dave ordered.

“Decaf mocha cappuccino,” John requested next.

“I'll have a regular mocha,” Alex said.

“I'll just have regular house coffee, light and sweet, please,” Carol ordered. “I feel so bland next to all of you,” she said to the group.

“No worries. We love you 'bland,'” Dave joked.

“I've been coming to this place for years,” Alexandria said. “All the coffees and teas are to die for. Even the bland ones, babe.” She nudged Carol.

“Well, I would like to thank you guys for a nice day out.” Carol said. “It's great to be with people who understand what it's like to be gay in Missouri. You guys are fun company and I really appreciate your understanding.”

“We know. We appreciate yours as well. It's nice having you ladies around. You get it. That means a lot. And hey, if nothing else, it's just pleasant to get away from all the crap from work.” John agreed.

Ironically, Carol's cell phone rang at that moment. She looked at it. It was a client. “Speaking of work,” Carol said before she answered. “Hello?”



Purchase your copy of Imperfect today!

No comments: